March Curriculum Guide
Let’s Review! Reading Comprehension 1. Juicy Jack gives us several adjectives that can be used to describe someone in Spanish. Ask students to describe themselves using three Spanish words They can also draw a picture and include the words.
2. Conrad Storad introduces us to the hummingbird and explains what makes these birds so unique. One of the most interesting facts is that they can fly upside down. Ask students to name three more facts about hummingbirds.
3. Paul Czajak, author of the Monster & Me series, believes he was dyslexic when he was a child, so he shied away from reading because it was difficult. Define “dyslexic” and ask students write about something they might not do because it is difficult for them.
4. In The Trotters of Tweeville series, author Shirin Zarqa-Lederman presents the concept of kindness in a colorful way. Have students write down five ways to show kindness towards others, and then have them share some of these ideas.
5. Actress Olivia Sanabia is constantly practicing her craft of acting. Have students name a favorite activity and then describe what they do to learn more about that activity.
March Curriculum Guide
True or False 1. The Winzlow Nation picture book series teaches kids about civics. (True or False) 2. The Spanish “y” is pronounced like the English “e.” (True or False) 3. Just Add Magic is a new original series about three girls who are magicians. (True or False) 4. There are more than 340 different kinds of hummingbirds. (True or False) 5. SpongeBob SquarePants is a cartoon set in a town on the ocean floor. (True or False) 6. The Nearly Calamitous Taming of PZ is about a bird that is set free. (True or False) 7. The Monster & Me book series includes five books, and a sixth is on the way. (True or False)
Fill in the Blank 1. Magic Bat Day was written in an attempt to bring new interest to the game of ________________. 2. In the book, The Little Mouse Santi, the mouse wants to be a ________________. 3. ________________ is most important to author Shirin Zarqa-Lederman and her family. 4. If you play sports, you might be called atlético. In Spanish, this means you are ________________. 5. The tiniest hummingbird in North America is called the ________________ hummingbird. 6. Devon Kondaki’s Winzlow Nation offers an entertaining way to learn about the U.S. ________________. 7. Castle in Danger is a story about little Emma’s adventures of growing up in a ________________ in England.
1. baseball 2. cat 3. Kindness 4. athletic 5. bumblebee 6. government 7. castle
Fill in the Blanks: 1. True 2. True 3. False 4. True 5. True 6. False 7. True